Pages

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Exchange Server 2010 Setup.exe with /m:recoverserver switch fails with the error: “Exchange Server 2010 build 14.2.247.5 or later must be used to perform a recovery of this server.”

A colleague recently called me when one of his clients had an Exchange 2010 server fail and because I’ve done this in the past and blogged about it, I pointed him to one of my previous posts here:

Recovering an Exchange 2010 Mailbox Server from a corrupted operating system
http://terenceluk.blogspot.com/2011/08/recovering-exchange-2010-mailbox-server.html

However, while recovering a failed Exchange 2010 server with the setup.exe /m:recoverserver switch he received the following error:

D:\>setup /m:recoverserver

Welcome to Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Unattended Setup

Setup will continue momentarily, unless you press any key and cancel the

installation. By continuing the installation process, you agree to the license

terms of Microsoft Exchange Server 2010.

If you don't accept these license terms, please cancel the installation. To

review the license terms, please go to

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=150127&clcid=0x409/

Press any key to cancel setup................

No key presses were detected. Setup will continue.

Preparing Exchange Setup

Copying Setup Files COMPLETED

The following server roles will be recovered

Languages

Mailbox Role

Management Tools

Performing Microsoft Exchange Server Prerequisite Check

Configuring Prerequisites COMPLETED

Language Pack Checks COMPLETED

Mailbox Role Checks FAILED

Exchange Server 2010 build 14.2.247.5 or later must be used to perform a re

covery of this server.

The Exchange Server setup operation didn't complete. More details can be found

in ExchangeSetup.log located in the <SystemDrive>:\ExchangeSetupLogs folder.

Exchange Server setup encountered an error.

D:\>

image

One of the items I forgot to mention in my blog post which was also brought up by one of the visitors in the comments is that you need to use installation binaries that are at the same service pack level as the server you are recovering.  In my previous blog post, it was SP1 but for the server my colleague was recovering, it was SP2.  As most would know, there is no Exchange Server 2010 with SP2 ISOs for download on the Microsoft site and for some odd reason, I haven’t come across any documentation from Microsoft or the TechNet article:

Recover a Database Availability Group Member Server
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638206(v=exchg.141).aspx

… stating that you can actually download Exchange Server 2010 SP2, extract it and use it as installation binaries.  So if you are to receive this error, simply download the 535MB Exchange2010-SP2-x64.exe file:

image

… extract it into a folder:

clip_image002

… then run setup.exe /m:recoverserver to perform the install:

clip_image001

clip_image002[4]

5 comments:

Sean Werner said...

Recovery of data from a failed Exchange server is really very tedious job and require a lot of efforts. But without backup it wont be possible to recover the maibox data. If you do'nt have the updated Exchange databases backup, it is really very difficult to get back exchange server data. In such cases, you can recover and restore it only by using a third party software like this: http://www.recover-computerdata.com/exchange-server-recovery.html

Good Luck !
Sean

Amanda Lakai said...

Few days ago, my exchange server got crashed and I used M switch for recovery. I installed a fresh Server and gave same IP and same computer name as previous exchange server had. But it did not work for me and I was unable to recover the data.I also tried backup to restore the inaccessible data but got no success with this as well. So, after trying every possible way to recover the data, I used demo versions of many Third Party Tools and the tool which I found to be the most efficient was Stellar Phoenix Mailbox Exchange Recovery. with this tool, I was able to recover data more effectively. For more info, you can visit:http://www.stellarinfo.com/edb-exchange-server-recovery.htm

Unknown said...

Get in touch with a good quality software to recover Exchange server from crashes, dirty shut down or corrupted database. Here, Exchange recovery software can deeply scan, repair corruption and convert Offline EDB to Outlook PST format.

Visit: http://www.filesrecoverytool.com/exchange-edb-recovery.html

David Harper said...

Great article, I describe step by step to how resolve exchange server error. I tested this exchange server recovery tool ( http://www.lepide.com/exchange-manager/ ) that helps to resolve all kinds of exchange server corruption issues like file size error, jet errors, server failure or downtime etc. It converts recover exchange edb files including inbox, sent items, task, notes , drafts etc and save them to new or exixting pst file format.

Unknown said...

Nice article for Exchange 2010 recovery. I follow your article for recovering Exchange 2010 database but I am getting confused at some points. Like as you have written something about DAG. I don't know what is that? Therefore I decided to use a third party tool for exchange server 2010 mailbox recovery.
Please tell me that whether it would be a good idea or not. I have done a lot of research regarding recovery, and after analyzing all possible ways I found it better.
Actually, I run a small shop in which there is one PC is server and other 10 PCs are clients.